Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Just another day??

Now let's be honest. When I wake up and know it's a work day, I'm not that excited about it...especially this place...this department store...(I'm rolling my eyes a little). For me, not only is it boring, it's negative. But I'm being negative about it, which doesn't help at all. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm not the retail type of person. I'm told to open a new store account once a week, remember countless discounts that change everyday, and push the new deal "3 FREE magazines for 3 months!" Okay, well, first of all I don't even agree with department store credit cards...too many credit cards, too many bills...not good. I like discounts, but sometimes I just wonder if it's a way to make you buy something you may not even want, or need. And I want to know one thing, why is a department store selling magazines?? There is just no need for that...and people don't want magazines. It's all a waste of money!!

But...I can't say any of that. So I smile and talk to people. I actually got into a really good conversation with one customer. She was buying slippers for her husband who has Melanoma and lost a toe in the process. She wanted to buy him some special slippers that may help him. She started telling me about the treatments he was going through and the countless doctors they had consulted. She told me about how her husband takes chemo treatments just by swallowing a pill and a new experimental treatment he was asked to take. She told me he was doing better than others and that he had no pain, which is rare. I was glad for that. Then her eyes started to water and I began to hate the fact that I was the Sales Associate and she the Customer. I couldn't help but  notice another customer behind her waiting. I had to cut the conversation short, even with those tears, and wish her and her husband well. I really wanted to hug her, but I thought that would be inappropriate. Wherever she is, I hope she has a beautiful night and her husband health and a new beginning!

I spent the rest of the work day wishing I could try on all the hats in the men's department. It really is such a temptation for me! Just like the toys in the children's department...they want me to play with them! Every time I looked over there I had a sudden rush to grab one and wear it the rest of the day. Just to see if anyone would notice. The Eskimo hat was what I wanted the most today:


I really got to get that hat. I've always wanted one, and they are so soft! Maybe I should just stick to selling hats. At least I'm passionate about them!

I left work and met my director at the local wig store. Yep, we got one of those. It used to be a club, then some kind of church, and now it's a wig store. For the play I'm supposed to have a bob haircut from the 1920s, like the actress Louise Brooks. We tried on a few and finally found one. The only problem was it needed to be cut a little big shorter. Conveniently, the director had an appointment at her salon that afternoon, so off we went to see if they would cut my wig! And they did!! I sat in that chair and practically every hair dresser took a stab at trimming and styling it to match the picture we brought. It really was a lot of fun! I'm really excited about my wig and the play!!

Maybe today wasn't as boring as I thought...

0 comments: