Friday, February 17, 2012

I'm Going to Be Like Everybody Else and Discuss...Valentine's Day

So, instead of studying like I'm supposed to be doing, I read my sisters' blogs...they are probably in shock. They both wrote about Valentine's Day...and they are both single, just like me. I think we are just too awesome for the 'ball and chain' right now. :)

Honestly, I have never felt much attraction to Valentine's Day. I don't hate it, or like it. I'm indifferent really. I do think it's a waste of trees, but not of chocolate. :) It's a made up holiday with no concrete beginning. There is not much known about the actual person. In fact, it may not be an actual person, but a group of saints with the same name that were martyred for their faith. All the romantic junk was thrown in afterwards...in the High Middle Ages by poets. Man, we've strayed far. Now it's cupid, candy hearts, balloons, roses...it seems like love has thrown up in every store...well, imitations of love that is...a Hollywood Love that seems more like a slight attraction than real love.

And on this day, there is always a good romantic comedy fresh at the box office. It gets me thinking about being single vs. being married. My opinion has definitely changed over the years. The concept of marriage used to freak me out. But I've realized it's not really marriage that scares me, it's the mistake of marrying the wrong person. It's the challenge of marriage that is scary. If I get married, I will be with that one person for the rest of my life. Crap. That's a huge deal. One I do not take lightly. So, for now, I am single. And honestly, I'm very happy about it. I've always loved being single. It is an advantage. I'm in no hurry to change it.

Valentine's Day also makes me think about the idea of soul mates. I have always heard that God has someone for me, I just have to wait. I have always hated that belief. And I don't plan on waiting around for some guy.  It seems so stupid to me. If you want to bring religion into it, than look at the Bible. No where does it talk about soul mates. I do not believe there is just one person for me. I see that as limiting my options. No thanks. I don't have another 'half' trying to find me. I think I'm whole just like I am. In fact, parts of the New Testament encourages staying single. Now, that is something you never hear in church.

The idea of soul mates takes the power out of your hands and gives it to fate. That's ridiculous. I'm not trying to get into the idea of destiny, God's will, blah, blah. I just think marriage, or any committed relationship, is beautiful on its own without messing it up with 'soul mate' crap. It's the commitment that makes that bond strong. It's choosing another person over yourself everyday, living with them, loving and fighting with them...that's beautiful. And I got a good example...my parents. Goodness gracious, they are so very different from each other. Seriously. But they're committed....to the very core.

Now that is the real love that I'm talking about. It's that kind of love that can't really be explained, or even expressed in one day...or in one card...or with a box of chocolates. In fact, the martyrs of their faith expressed this kind of love better than any candy heart.

So, whether you hate it...or love it, we got Valentine's Day. Whether single or not, celebrate all relationships!!

And if anything, I hope it reminded you of what's truly beautiful in the world...

0 comments: