Saturday, May 5, 2012

First Weekend in Busan

So originally I thought the first weekend would be me alone in my apartment still unpacking. Well, that's what I'm doing right now on Sunday (actually I'm updating my blog and trying to get these videos to work. haha) but Saturday some very nice foreign teachers took me out on the town!! (Not town, obviously, but BIGGEST city I've ever lived in!!) Two of the teachers work at a hagwon right across from mine...so that's how we met. And I'm am oh, so very grateful. I hope to meet more! ( just haven't figured that out yet....I found some places online, but they seem sketchy)

They took me to one hot spot: Shinsegae, biggest mall in the world!!! To me, it was like a ritzy mall in the Palm Beaches, just Korean style. The mall has an ice rink and golf range! Crazy! We ate in the mall, I don't remember what I had...I just pointed at a picture, but it was really, really good. I like the food thus far, just haven't tried anything too crazy. One step at a time...maybe that can be for next weekend!

We, then, walked to the beach. I have done alot of walking since I've gotten here and I really like it. Sometimes, it's just best to walk and see what you discover. There is something new just around the corner. The economy here is booming...at least in the city. There are little stores everywhere!! And coffee shops on every corner (I think I'm in heaven)...at night every store has lit up signs...I can't wait to go out at night and see what I discover!!

It was so warm and sunny, the perfect day to walk to the beach!! The beach was pretty, but there were big city building surrounding it, which is something I'm not used to at all. Still, I got the chance to see little kids play, people of all ages flying kites, and actually groups of foreigners!! Now, here is something that surprised me! I really wanted to go up to them and see where they were from and if they were teachers too (which is the most likely explanation...or engineers), but the teachers in my group didn't really want to talk to them. And the groups didn't really want to talk to us. It was weird, but then I realized why did I want to talk to them? Just because they were foreigners? Yes, of course, duh. But I wouldn't do that at home now would I?

So, I didn't talk to them. But I think I will next time. Yeah, I'm in another country, and I just arrived so I'm still excited. I really, really, really want to meet people now. And I'm going to use that to my advantage for right now. I'm curious to know everyone's stories. I can't wait to go back to the beach.

We then walked down the beach and down a street and discovered a carnival going on! Yay, something I know! There was a huge ferris wheel, cotton candy and everything! We didn't actually go on any rides...super, duper tired, but it was f un to watch the kids and just discover something new!!!

0 comments: